License Plate Decoder
Enter license plate and get a detailed vehicle history
License plate numbers are primarily used for identification and registration. And a quick look at a USA license plate will tell you nothing more than the state of registration. If you want to know more detailed information, you’ll need to use a license plate decoder. In this post, we’ll share with you how.
What info can you get by decoding a license plate?
There are many online license plate decoders available that can help you fetch information related to the license plate. The specific details available may vary depending on the state, but here are some common types of information you can potentially obtain:
- Vehicle history
- Title records
- Recall & damage history
- Market Value (& invoice, MSRP)
- Accident & theft records
- Sales listings
- Warranties & odometers
- Specifications, and more
License plate decoders
Listed below are some of the popular decoders that we’ve tested and trust. You can check them out and select the one for your need.
BeenVerified is a strong vehicle search tool. With access to various data sources like state-level government agencies, insurance providers, and auto industry partners, it can reveal many details you need to know about a vehicle. Enter the license plate number, and it will generate a report that may contain its accident & salvage records, market value, detailed history, and more.
- Go to BeenVerified.
- Enter the license plate number, state, and click SEARCH.
- Wait as BeenVerified runs the search and compiles a report.
- On the report page, you’ll see a navigation bar on the left to help you easily access the section that you’re interested in. For example, the Recalls section.
- Note that BeenVerified is a subscription-based service and you’ll need to purchase a membership plan to view the report.
What do we like about BeenVerified?
BeenVerified is an all-around search service. With one subscription, you can access its other search services like phone number, email address, and address lookups.
Bumper is an Approved NMVTIS (National Motor Vehicle Title Information System) Data Provider. It’s a leading vehicle search tool that gathers information from government authorities, insurance providers, and more. In its report, you may get the title records, accident & theft records, and more.
- Visit the Bumper search page.
- Select License Plate, enter the number and state, then click SEARCH.
- Wait a few seconds as Bumper collects related information and generates a report.
EpicVIN will give you some preliminary information before you’re purchasing the full report, including the VIN, engine size, last odometer readings & selling price. It’s also an NMVTIS-powered vehicle data provider. With access to data collected from multiple public resources, it can help you decode a license plate easily.
- Go to EpicVIN.
- Select by US License Plate, enter the number, and click on the search button.
- Wait as EpicVIN finds the information related to the plate number. You can use the preliminary information or purchase the full report.
Edmunds is a well-known automotive information platform that offers a range of vehicle-related services like car pricing, buying & selling guidance, and more. And it supports license plate lookup. So if you’re curious about the vehicle’s market value, you can give Edmunds a try.
- Navigate to Edmunds.
- Select the License Plate tab, Enter the plate number and state, then click on the search button.
- Fill in the specific condition of the vehicle, then Edmunds will show you the estimated value provided by its working partners.
ClearVIN is an online platform that provides vehicle history reports for used cars in the United States. By accessing data from various sources, including government databases, insurance companies, and vehicle auctions, ClearVIN compiles detailed reports that may include information about a vehicle’s history, such as accidents, titles, odometer readings, and more. Note that it is not a free tool.
You may also want to know…
What is a license plate decoder?
A license plate decoder is a tool that allows individuals to obtain information from a vehicle’s license plate. It can provide information such as the state where the vehicle is registered, the year of registration, and other details.
Are there any free license plate decoders?
Yes, there are multiple services that offer free license plate lookup. However, free license plate decoders typically offer limited information, like the ones we’ve mentioned above. Services that provide comprehensive details are mostly paid ones.
You can go to the NMVTIS website and check for other available license plate decoders. Note that unauthorized decoding of license plates for malicious purposes is illegal and can infringe upon privacy rights. We hope you find the post helpful!