Running into the error code: 2618-0513 on your Nintendo Switch while connecting to your friends? Don’t worry… Although it’s frustrating, you’re definitely not the only person to experience this problem. Thousands of players have recently reported the very same issue. More importantly, you should be able to fix it pretty easily.
What is the error code: 2617-0513
According to Nintendo Support, You’ll see the error code: 2617-0513 when you’re unable to complete the match-making process. This error code suggests that your network is not optimal for P2P connections. Obviously, this is a network problem which may be due to your ISP, Internet connection speeds, or your network’s NAT type.
How to fix error code: 2617-0513
After seeing the error code: 2617-0513, just close the error message window and try the match-making processes again. Sometimes you may be able to connect with others after trying again.
However, if you see the error code: 2617-0513 every time you’re trying to connect with others, or with a specific player, just follow the steps below to perform a connection test on your Nintendo Switch console:
To run a connection test on your Nintendo Switch console:
- On your Nintendo Switch, from the HOME Menu, select System Settings.
- Scroll down to select Internet from the System Settings menu, then select Test Connection.
- From the test, note down the following information:
– NAT Type
– Download Speed
– Upload Speed
Try these fixes
Based on the result of the Internet connection test, here’re the fixes you can try:
- Avoid Wireless interference
- Power cycle both your router and modem
- Disconnect other devices
- Use a VPN connection
Fix 1: Avoid wireless interference
If your NAT type is A or B, and the download speed is 3mbps or higher, the error code: 2617-0513 may be triggered by wireless interference. To improve the wireless network environment, just try the following steps:
- Remove your Nintendo Switch console from the Nintendo Switch dock, and move the console closer to your wireless router. If possible, place your console within 3 to 5 meters (10 to 15 feet) of your router.
- Move any electronic devices and metal objects away from your Nintendo Switch console and wireless router, as they may interfere with wireless signals.
Try the match-making process again and see you can connect to other players. If you still receive the same error code, try the next fix, below.
Fix 2: Power cycle both your router and modem
A glitch with your wireless router may also cause this network issue. If it’s the case, power cycle your network is necessary. By rebooting your network, your Internet connection may be back to normal.
You can follow the instructions below to power cycle your router and modem:
- Unplug your modem (and your wireless router, if it’s a separate device) from power for 60 seconds.
- Plug in your modem and wireless router again and wait until the indicator lights are back to its normal state.
- Connect your Nintendo Switch console to your wireless router and try the match-making process again.
See if after this issue persists after you restarted the network. If you still see the error code: 2618-0513, you may need to try the next fix below to disconnect other devices or close bandwidth hogging applications on other devices.
Fix 3: Disconnect other devices
Your Nintendo Switch console may get a slow download / upload speed if there’re so many devices connecting to the same Wi-Fi network.
For example, if your family members are watching TV shows online, or if your computer / laptop is running some bandwidth hogging applications like iCloud, OneDrive, DropBox, etc., your Nintendo Switch may fail to complete the match-making process because of the poor network condition.
If possible, you can try disconnecting other devices from your wireless router, or close those bandwidth hogging applications on other devices, then try the match-making process again to see if this issue persists.
If you still receive the error code after disconnecting other devices, try the next fix, below.
Fix 4: Use a VPN connection
The error code: 2618-0513 may be due to your ISP. If none of the fixes above works for you, or if your NAT type is C, D or F, try using a VPN connection on your Nitendo Switch. Using a VPN can help bypass strict NAT, in other words, VPN can bring a huge difference if your NAT type is C, D, or F.
In fact, the benefits of using a VPN on your Nintendo Switch go far beyond this. With a reliable VPN services, you can:
- Avoid ISP bandwidth throttling
- Reduce lag and in-game delay
- Download and update games at lightning speed
- Get exclusive game deals in other regions
- Protect your online identity
- Protect your device from DDoS attacks
A paid and reliable VPN usually delivers a better and more stable performance during peak hours, so it guarantees your smooth gaming experience while playing online games on Nintendo Switch.
If you’re not sure which VPN you should choose, here we recommend: NordVPN. With NordVPN, you can optimize your gaming, risk-free.
Enjoy secure gaming with NordVPN!
For more detailed instrcutions on how to use VPN on your Nintendo Switch, please refer to the article below: