It’s quite annoying when you do Discord ban as a joke, when the server unbanned you it’s still doesn’t let you in. Or you got banned from your favorite server for misunderstanding, after the server unbanned you and you still can’t back into the server, it may hurt your feeling. Don’t worry, this post would tell you how to fix this problem.
What’s Discord ban
There’re 2 types of bans, a server ban, and a platform ban. The server is an important part of Discord, it’s a chatroom with channels filled in. The platform means Discord.
You should know that ban is permanent.
Platform ban: Discord’s Trust and Safety Team can disable or delete user account, mark and ban IP address. You can’t connect to any of the servers on the Discord service.
Server ban: An individual server administrator can ban a user from the chat server. The user can no longer log into that particular server, but you can connect to other servers.
So how does Discord ban users?
Discord tracks their users two ways: by username and by IP address.
When the user is banned by the server, both their account and IP address are banned from the server, to prevent ban evasion, any accounts that are using the banned user’s IP address won’t be able to join the server.
The IP address is used by a network (the internet included) to identify a connected device. This allows the network to identify where information is being received from and needs to be sent to. That means that even if you change your username and try to log into a Discord server, you will still be banned because the Discord system recognizes your IP address. This prevents you from simply creating a new account from the same computer, as your IP address remains flagged and the server will block you from connecting to the server.
How to bypass Discord ban
Now it’s very clear, Discord will recognize your IP address to ban you from joining the server again. So the best way to bypass the Discord ban is to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN). A VPN is an excellent way to unblock online content, and Discord is no exception. VPN can make your IP address appear as if on the other country and the new IP address will allow you to sign up for Discord with a new username, providing access to the server you have been banned from.
Prior to following the procedure below, you should first select an ideal VPN provider. Personally, I’ll recommend NordVPN and ExpressVPN to you. For one thing, these two VPNs are the pick of the bunch in their kind, topping the charts with a mostly positive reputation; for another, they are as easy to use as falling off a log (even foolproof I’d say) – that’s my real thoughts after trying both of them.
Besides, you can use a VPN on every device you have (as long as it’s equipped with an operating system) including desktop computers, laptops, tablets, and game consoles like PS4 and Xbox One. Not only for bypass Discord ban, but you can also use NordVPN for more.
Here’s how to use a Nord VPN on Windows step by step:
- Go to the NordVPN official website.
- Choose your plan and click Continue to Payment.
- Finish the payment and download NordVPN. For example, you can click Choose Your Apps on the pop-up page of the last step.
- Select the version you want to download based on your operating system.
- After choosing your desired version, click Download. (The following screenshot is an example for the Windows version.)
- Wait till the download process is complete. Then, double-click on the downloaded file and follow the onscreen instructions to install it on your PC.
- If you’ve never used NordVPN before, you should click Sign up as a new user to create a new account. Then you’ll be prompted to choose a purchase plan.
- After you successfully set up a new account, return to the login window and enter your credentials. Click Sign in.
- There pops up the main app screen. Notice a Quick connect button at the bottom of the map? Click it to allow the app to automatically choose a server that suits you best.
But there’s one thing you need to know: if the website or whatever you want to visit is only available in certain areas, then you should choose a server located in the required areas in order to bypass the geographical censorship.
- If you opt to connect to a server in a specific country (like what I’ve mentioned in the last step), click on the country pin on the map and then wait for the connection to complete. Once finished, you’ll see the country pin turning into green and the bottom label indicating you’re PROTECTED.
- Besides, you can connect to a specific server using the Search here… box at the top left corner. Simply type in a country, a category or a server’s number with a hashtag (e.g. United States #3433) and select the result you want.
- Note that NordVPN lies in the notification area of your taskbar. When you want to turn on/off the app, you can right-click on the NordVPN icon to make the changes.
- As of this moment, everything seems quite a breeze, right? Next up, you need to check whether you have access to the contents that are geographically blocked. If you do, then congrats; if you don’t, make sure you’ve connected to a correct server in the required areas.
For more details on how to set up and use NordVPN on other platforms such as android and iOS, please refer to the official tutorial of NordVPN. Easy peasy!
As for ExpressVPN, it’s also among the top-notch so you can rest assured of its safety and effectiveness. Meanwhile, it’s as easy to use as NordVPN.
The potential risk
Even though you can use VPN to bypass Discord ban, you’ll encounter potential risk, server administrator can report the users who bypass their bans to Discord’s Trust and Safety Team. Then you may meet the Discord platform ban. So please don’t against the rules edited by the server administrator. And also don’t forget to create an entirely different username after login with a new account. Server administrators are usually humans, they may remember your old username and catch you again.
This tip only for people get banned accidentally, misunderstanding, and was banned as a joke. These people can’t back to the server after unbanned by the server administrator, this post would help you back to the server you like. As for others, the best thing to do is obey the rules in your favorite server and enjoy Discord chatting.