Many Mac users are recently reporting an issue with their printer connection. What happens is they see an error message “The printer is not connected” on their Mac computer, and they can’t use their printer.
If you’re also experiencing this issue, you’re no doubt very frustrated. But don’t worry, we’ve put together some suggestions to help you fix this error.
Try these fixes
You may not have to try them all; just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
The first thing you should do is to check your printer and computer for connectivity issues. You should make sure your printer is properly connected to your Mac computer.
There are a few things you should check:
- Make sure all the cables are properly connected, including your USB cable (if you’re using wired printer connection) and your power cables.
- Make sure your printer is connected to the Internet.
If your printer connection looks good, but you still get the message, there are also a few things you can try:
- Reconnect all your cables.
- Reconnect your printer to the Internet.
- Restart your router.
If these still don’t work for you, you may need to try the fixes below…
Resetting your printing system helps you troubleshoot printer problems on your Mac computer, including issues with your printer-Mac communication. Here’s how you can do it.
WARNING: Resetting printing system removes all your printer, scanner and fax settings and all print jobs. You’ll have to reinstall all your printers and scanners you previously set up on your Mac computer.
- On your Mac computer, click the Apple icon in the upper-left corner of your screen, then click System Preferences.
- Click Printers & Scanners.
- Right click an empty area of the device list, then click Reset printing system.
- Click the Reset button.
- Type your password and click the OK button if you’re prompted to do so, then wait for the process to be complete.
- Click the Add (+) button, then select your printer to reinstall it.
Now you should be able to fix your error and use your printer. But if not, you may need to…
There may be temporary issues with your printer so you can’t connect it to your Mac computer. And you should try power resetting (a more thorough way to restart) your printer to see if this fixes your issue. To do so:
- While your printer is ON, disconnect the power cable from your printer.
- Disconnect all the other cables connected to your printer.
- Press and hold the power button on your printer for 15 seconds.
- Reconnect the power cable and all the other cables to your printer.
- Check to see if your printer not connected error is fixed.
Hopefully one of the fixes above solves your problem. If you have any questions, feel free to leave us a comment below.