MacBook Pro Sound Not Working [FIXED]
No sound coming out from your MacBook Pro notebook? Don’t worry! This is a common issue, and you’re not the only one to experience it. And more importantly, it’s fixable…
Try these fixes
The following are the fixes you can try to fix the sound not working issue with your MacBook Pro. You don’t need to try them all; just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you…
- Perform basic troubleshooting
- Check your audio output settings
- Restart the Core Audio process
- Reset the SMC
Fix 1: Perform basic troubleshooting
There are a few things you need to check on your MacBook Pro when the sound is not working properly:
- Unplug any headphone or external speakers connected to your MacBook Pro.
- Is your volume too low? Try turning it up a bit and see if you can hear any sound from the speakers.
- Open another program and play some sound on it to see if your speaker problem happens only on a specific program.
- Try restarting your MacBook Pro and see if this fixes the speakers.
If your MacBook Pro sound still doesn’t work, don’t worry! There are still other fixes you can try…
Fix 2: Check your audio output settings
Perhaps you didn’t choose the right device for sound output so it’s not working. And to check this setting:
1) Click System Preferences on your Dock.
2) Click Sound.
3) Make sure Internal Speakers is selected and the Mute option is unchecked, and move the volume slider to the right.
Now check to see if you can play sound with your speakers. Hopefully you can. But if not, then move on to the next fix.
Fix 3: Restart the Core Audio process
Restarting the Core Audio process helps you fix your sound issues. To do this:
1) Click Launcher on your Dock.
2) Click Other.
3) Click Activity Monitor.
4) Select coreaudiod, then click the Force a process to quit (X) button at upper left.
This process will then automatically restart. After that check to see if this has fixed your speakers not working issue.
Fix 4: Reset the SMC
The SMC (System Management Controller) on your MacBook Pro manages the low-level functioning of your notebook hardware. So when the sound on your MacBook Pro is not working properly, resetting the SMC is something you can try.
1) Shut down your MacBook Pro.
2) Press the Shift, Control and Option keys on the left side on your keyboard and the Power buttons at the same time. Then hold them for 10 seconds.
3) Turn on your MacBook Pro.
This should reset the SMC on your MacBook Pro. Now check to see if your MacBook Pro sound works now.
Hopefully one of the fixes above worked for you. If you have any questions or suggestions, you’re more than welcome to leave us a comment below.