Google Voice numbers are everywhere. Basically everyone with a phone and a Google account can get a Google Voice number for free. If you’re curious about a Google Voice number and want to find out who owns the number, where they live, etc., you’re in the right place. In this post, we’ll show you how to trace a Google Voice number.
Can you trace a Google Voice number?
Yes, it’s absolutely possible to trace a Google Voice number. In fact, technically, not just Google Voice — any number is traceable.
Google Voice has been giving out free VoIP numbers since 2017. These numbers act just like a normal phone number — you can use it to make calls, send texts and register social media accounts.
Most people use Google Voice to mask their online identity, but that actually leaves digital footprints which may be collected by data aggregators and brokers. So as soon as a person is using the same number, there’s a very good chance you can trace the number to the owner, the associated email address and even the actual phone number.
Besides that, with the following tools, you can even get more information about the Google Voice number.
Method 1: Do a reverse phone lookup
Normally, you’ll need a court order to get the number’s information from Google. So the easiest and most efficient way to trace a Google Voice number would be running a reverse phone lookup. This works with cellphones and landlines, even if the numbers are unpublished or unlisted.
Intelius is a sophisticated people search engine. It allows you to look up a phone number in millions of records that you may not find on Google. By searching with a phone number, you may find out the owner’s real name, email addresses and profiles on 50+ social networks.
- Go to the Intelius search page.
- Enter the Google Voice number and click Search.
- It may take a minute for Intelius to search the database. Once it locates a match, it’ll generate a report containing all the available information about the Google Voice number. It could reveal the owner’s name, email, current address and linked profiles on 50+ social networks.
BeenVerified is a leading information provider powered by billions of public records. It’s one of the few that have extensive social media data you can search with just a phone number. In addition to accounts, the search result may also include contact info of the number owner.
- Go to BeenVerified phone lookup.
- Enter the Google Voice number and click Search.
- Wait for BeenVerified to search the database. The final report may reveal the potential owner of the Google Voice number, along with detailed information such as the linked email addresses and social media profiles.
Method 2: Try to pull the IP address with Grabify
You can also try to gain insights from the number owner’s IP address. IP addresses are network addresses used to identify devices. By looking up the IP address, you can figure out the person’s approximate location, like which city/street they’re in.
You can use existing IP grabbers like Grabify to generate a tracking link. Once someone clicks the link, you’ll get the IP address:
- First you need to prepare a normal link to reduce suspicion. For example you can use a YouTube video link.
- Go to Grabify. Paste the link in the box and click Create URL.
- Grabify will generate a tracking link (see New URL). But we’re not ready yet. To make your link look normal, click View Other link Shorteners.
- Choose a shortener to generate a new shortened tracking link. (You can use other URL shorteners to make the link look normal.)
- Send the link to a Google Voice number. You can improvise the text to make the link look enticing.
- When someone clicks the link, you’ll see the logged IP address on Grabify.
Method 3: Search the number online
If you’re lucky or the number is actively used, you may be able to spot it on publicly listed data. In other words, it’s possible you can find the owner with a simple search on Google. There’re cases where users actually discovered their personal info like name and address when searching with their GV number1.
But Google may not have the data for some social networks. So you can take your chances and search the number on major social media sites.
Note that even though some platforms don’t support searching with phone numbers, they may come with a Sync Your Contacts feature you can take advantage of. Just add the Google Voice number to your contacts and sync with the app, and you may find the profile linked to the number.
There’re many ways you can dig out information about the phone number, and the easiest one is to look up the number on people search engines like Intelius or BeenVerified. But note that these services rely heavily on public records, so there may be cases where they return inaccurate owner info2 (could happens if the GV number is a part of the stale data).
Since Google Voice numbers are so easy to come by, there’re reports that Google Voice numbers are used for spam calls and harrassment3. If you’re dealing with the same situation, instead of looking up the phone number, you should also report the situation to Google. They’d take actions against the associated Google account. (You’ll need a court order to acquire the user’s information from Google.)
- Personal Consumer Issues [Kennedy]. (2020, January 25). Google Voice number- no privacy with personal info?? [Online forum post]. Bogleheads. https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=301742 ↩︎
- Privacy [hc216]. (2020 November 23). My google voice number is associated to another person. [Online forum post]. Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/jziafn/my_google_voice_number_is_associated_to_another/ ↩︎
- GoogleVoice [Blazah]. (2024, January 5). How do you stop someone from using google voice numbers to harass you when it’s a level of insanity? [Online forum post]. Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/Googlevoice/comments/18zf2w1/how_do_you_stop_someone_from_using_google_voice/ ↩︎