It’s kind of creepy when you see your home address, phone number, age and other information listed on background check websites. You can make removal requests, for sure. And it’s usually for free. Or you can use a third-party tool to help you opt out from the most active and egregious personal data aggregators, and repeat the opt-out process if necessary. In this guide, we’ll show you the detailed steps on how you can opt out from the major background check websites.
How to opt out
- Opt out from dozens of sites, all in one place
- Opt out from each site manually
Opt out from dozens of sites, all in one place
The most effective method that gives you peace of mind and privacy is to use DeleteMe. It’s an online reputation service promising to remove you and your family from the top people finder database.
What background check websites does DeleteMe remove you from?
DeleteMe offers a removal service to help users opt out from the most requested data broker sites.
How can DeleteMe help you with the opt-outs
To find out which background check websites are aggregating your data and remove yourself from those sites, simply follow the steps below:
- Navigate to the DeleteMe search page.
- Enter your name into the search field and select the city and state that you’re staying in or once stayed in. When you’re ready for the search, click Scan FREE.
- Wait for DeleteMe to search all the data broker sites. When it says DeleteMe found your records, enter your email address, click the consent box, and click Reveal My Records.
DeleteMe is our premium privacy service that removes you from more than 30 data brokers. You’ll need to sign up for it. Once you’ve completed your sign-up, you’ll receive an email to get started.
After you’ve submitted your info, experts will search for it. Then the removal process will start. You’ll receive updates on their progress. It usually takes 7 days to receive the removal report. Additionally, DeleteMe keeps your information off year-round.
Abine DeleteMe opts you out from dozens of data broker sites, repeatedly if necessary, using a combination of automation and direct human intervention.
Opt out from each site manually
For users who are looking for a free way to opt out from background check websites, you’ll need to first find out which website collects your information. Then head to the corresponding page to fill out the opt-out form and send your request.
Below are detailed instructions on how you can manually remove yourself from some of the major background check websites.
BeenVerified Opt Out
- Navigate to the BeenVerified opt-out page.
- Enter the information needed to search for your listing.
- Select your record and click Proceed to Opt Out.
- Enter the email address into the box and perform the CAPTCHA. Then submit your request.
- Verify your request to opt out by clicking on the link in verification email that’s sent to you.
PeopleLooker is owned by BeenVerified. So removing yourself from BeenVerified will also remove you from PeopleLooker.
Instant Checkmate Opt Out
- Go to their opt-out page.
- Enter the information into the box and click SEARCH to search for your listing.
- Find your match and then click REMOVE THIS RECORD.
- Type in your email and perform the CAPTCHA. Then click SEND CONFIRMATION EMAIL.
- Then wait for the verification email.
Intelius Opt Out
- Head to the Intelius opt-out page.
- Enter the information into the box. Click CONTINUE to search for your listing.
- Find your match and click REMOVE THIS RECORD.
- Check your email and follow the instructions to complete the process.
Generally speaking, you’ll receive an email stating that your request has been completed and your listing has been removed after 72 hours.
ZabaSearch is owned by Intelius, so removing yourself from Intelius will also remove you from ZabaSearch.
MyLife Opt Out
- Go to mylife.com.
- Enter the information required into the box. Toggle on This is Me. Then click SEARCH.
- Once you find your record, click This is me – View My Profile.
- Once you’re directed to your record page, copy the URL of the page.
- Go to the MyLife opt-out page.
- Paste the URL of your listing, enter your email address, check the terms of services, perform the CAPTCHA validation, and click Opt Out.
After you’ve submitted your request, you’ll get a confirmation email and they will fulfill it in 7-10 business days.
PeopleFinders Opt Out
- Search for your listing on PeopleFinders.com. On your profile page, copy the URL.
- Go to the PeopleFinders opt-out page.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to fill out the form. Then send your request.
TruthFinder Opt Out
- Go to the TruthFinder opt-out page.
- Find your match and click REMOVE THIS RECORD.
- Enter your email address and perform the CAPTCHA. Then click SEND CONFIRMATION EMAIL.
- Check your email inbox for the verification email. Then follow the instructions to complete your process. Your listing should be removed within 48 hours.
Spokeo Opt Out
- Go to Spokeo.com and search for your listing.
- Find your match and click SEE RESULTS.
- Now copy the URL (web page address) of your profie page.
- Now go to the Spokeo opt-out page. Paste the URL of our listing. Provide your email address to receive the confirmation email. Then perform the CAPTCHA and click REMOVE THIS LISTING.
- Click on the verification link in the email that’s sent to you. And you’ll be redirected to confirm the opt-out.
Whitepages Opt Out
- Go to whitepages.com and search for your listing.
- Copy the URL of your page.
- Head to the Whitepages opt-out page and paste the URL of your profile. Then click Next.
- Click on the Remove Me button after your confirmation.
- Then you’ll be asked why you want to delete this information. Select one of the drop-down and click Next.
- Then enter your phone number to verify your identity and then check the little box that confirms you want to remove the listing from white pages. Then click Call now to verify.
After that, you’ll receive a call to complete the deletion process.
Opting out from all background check websites manually won’t cost you anything. However, it can take hours to go through each website and remove the personal information for just one person. If you don’t have the time to do this, use DeleteMe, a premium privacy service that removes you from more than 30 data brokers like Whitepages, Spokeo, BeenVerified, plus many more.