How to Move Steam games to Another Drive | Easily
If you’re a steam game enthusiast, you must have installed countless games onto your computer. As a result, probably you’ll find not enough space on the drive to install any new game. You’ll then need another much larger new drive to save your game. But do you know you can simply move your Steam games to another drive? Don’t reinstall your games onto the new drive, which might cost much of your valuable time.
Here in this guide, you’ll learn the true methods to move Steam games to another drive. Read on and find how…
Method 1: Moving your single game
By default, your Steam games are stored in the following folder C:\Program Files\Steam. Instead, you can create an alternate location on another drive which you want to move your Steam games onto. And in the future you can choose this new location when you install new games.
See how to do that:
First, create a new Steam folder
1) Run Steam on your computer.
2) Click Steam > Settings.
3) Click Downloads on the open Settings window. Then click STEAM LIBRARY FOLDERS.
4) You’ll then see your current folder stored your games. Click ADD LIBRARY FOLDER.
5) Select the drive your want to move your Steam games onto. Then click NEW FOLDER… and give the new folder a name you prefer. Here we simply name it Steam. Click OK.
6) Click SELECT. You’ll then see the location you just created on the Steam Library Folders.
Second, move your game files to the new Steam folder
1) Back to the homepage of Steam.
2) Click to view on the LIBRARY pane.
3) Right-click the game you want to move and select Properties.
4) Click LOCAL FILES > MOVE INSTALL FOLDER.
5) Select the folder you just created and click MOVE FOLDER.
Great! Now you succeed in moving your game onto another drive.
If you want to move other games, just repeat these steps. And in the future you’ll be asked to choose a library to install your new game.
Method 2: Moving your entire existing Steam installation
If you want to move your entire existing Steam installation to another drive, it’s also easy to achieve. See how:
Before you move your whole Steam games folder, do these two things:
- Create a new Steam folder on your new drive in Steam, you can follow the first things to do in Method 1.
- Please backup your Steam games in case any problem happen when moving your games.
When prepared, move your entire existing Steam installation through these steps:
1) Go to your Steam game installation folder C:/Program Files/Steam by default.
2) Delete all the files and folders except the SteamApps & Userdata folders and Steam.exe.
3) Cut and paste the whole Steam folder to the new loaction you created.