If you’re a fan of K-dramas, you may already know Viki. If this is your first time hearing about Viki, it’s a streaming website where you can watch thousands of Asian dramas with subtitles, even the latest ones on air. It’s available in the United States, Mexico, and a few other countries/regions.
You may also like: How to get one free year of Apple TV+
Although Viki contents are not subscription-only, having a Viki Pass will allow you to access all the available shows ad-free. In this post, we’re gonna show you: how to get Viki Pass for free, if you don’t have one yet, and how to make your subscription cheaper. Read on and don’t miss the deal!
Table of contents
- Is Viki free?
- How do I get Viki Pass for free?
- Comparison: Viki & Netflix & Viu
Is Viki free?
You can access the Viki website or its app for free. Unlike many streaming services, Viki doesn’t require a subscription for the audience to view their TV show lists. In fact, you don’t even need an account to watch the free content.
But here are the downsides. You get loads of ads while you watch any show without a Viki Pass. Plus, the free contents are quite limited. Sometimes when you watch the first few free episodes of a show and find it interesting, you may end up getting the Viki Pass anyways.
How do I get Viki Pass for free?
Apply to be a Qualified Contributor
Viki provides subtitles for their audience in many languages. Most of the work is done by volunteers in the Viki community, also called the Qualified Contributors (QC). QC members are eligible to get rewards including a free subscription to Viki once their QC status reaches the tier. This is how their reward system looks like:
To contribute and gain your reward:
- The two main roles you can apply for are segmenters and subtitlers.
- Go to the Viki Volunteer Community page, and click Get Started at the top-right corner. You’ll be prompted to log into your Viki account and directed to your Viki Community dashboard. There will be a few guides for you to read.
- If you’re interested in contributing a specific drama, go to its Viki page, and click Subtitle team. You can either look for recruiting notice or send a message to the channel’s manager/moderator for inquiry.
- Or, you can use the Project Finder or browse the volunteer discussion forum for open projects.
As shown above, you will need to make some progress before you’re certified as a Qualified Contributor to gain the free Viki pass. I would recommend this method to earn your free Viki pass if you have enough spare time for it or you’re interested in subtitling!
Sign up for a 7-day free trial
Viki offers a 7-day free trial for all new customers. Note that there are two types of Viki Passes, Standard and Plus, and both of them have free trials. I recommend trying the Viki Pass Plus because you can access all the latest content without waiting.
Steps to get your free trial:
- Visit Viki’s official site, and click Create Account at the top-right corner of the webpage.
- After you created your account, log in and head back to homepage.
- Click Get Viki Pass at the top-right corner of the page.
- Choose Viki Pass Standard or Plus, and click Start 7 days free trial.
- You’ll be directed to the checkout page. Fill out the information, and you’re done! Now you can enjoy the dramas and variety shows on Viki!
If you have an active Viki subscription but wish to spend less money on it, here are a few tricks:
Search for coupons automatically
If you’re on a monthly bill, you can cancel the current subscription then repurchase your Viki Pass with coupons. You can use Coupert to search for available coupons for Viki automatically, and save a few bucks.
Coupert is a browser extension that tells you when there are coupons available for the site you’re on. Once you’ve signed up and installed the extension (for Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Edge), you just go to Viki’s site and let Coupert do the rest of the work. An alert will pop up if there’s any available promo code for the site you’re on, test the validity and show you the best available discount.
Share your account with family & friends
As for now, Viki does NOT limit the number of devices that one account can be used on. That said, you can share a Viki pass with family or friends and split the bill. You’ll all be able to watch Viki contents at the same time, no matter how many devices it’s used on.
Create your Watch Party
Viki has a Watch Party feature, which is sort of like sharing your screen. A Viki pass is not required if you’re watching free shows and every Viki account holder will be able to host or join a watch party. For subscription-only content, only the host needs to own a Viki Pass.
This way, you can also split the cost of a Viki Pass. Plus it’s definitely more fun to binge some shows together with loved ones!
Steps to create your own Watch Party:
- Log into your Viki account, and choose the show you want to watch with your friends.
- Click the popcorn icon.
- Name your Watch Party, then click Create Watch Party.
- Now you can copy the link and share it to your friends!
Comparison: Viki & Netflix & Viu
As we know, Viki is known for its diverse collection of Asian TV dramas, especially Korean dramas, as well as the delicate translation in multiple languages. The two popular alternatives to Viki are Viu and Netflix.
Viu is pretty much the Asian version of Viki. It also has a large library of Asian Tv shows, especially Korean content. But it’s only available in some countries and regions in Asia, the Middle East, and South Africa.
There’s a growing number of Asian content on Netflix now, with a large proportion of Korean and Japanese dramas and variety shows. Although it doesn’t cover as many shows as Viki does, Netflix is doing a great job by adding the popular ones into their library as well as creating their originals (Viki has originals too.)
When it comes to translations, many users seem to prefer Viki. Netflix’s translations seem to be easier to understand, while Viki’s translations can be more accurate, fun, and seem to have some nuance.