If you have been around Omegle for a while, you may find it all fun and games. You are able to strike up a conversation with complete random strangers who hail from different corners of the world (who doesn’t love the excitement), find someone with the same interests and — since it’s anynomous — you may even forget who you are for a moment and chat at your own free will…
But sometimes, the fun is not so much at all when all of a sudden, Omegle bans you. If you find yourself in this situation, don’t worry. While this can be frustrating, we have answers to why this happens and how to get unbanned.
How to get unbanned from Omegle
Unfortunately, you cannot just contact Omegle to ask the Omegle staff to undo the ban. There is no contact information, text chats are unmonitored – Omegle doesn’t keep a record of the data, and even when video chats are monitored, the legging work is done by squads of bots.
So this really leaves you the option of unblocking Omegle on your own. But don’t worry, we are here to help.
Omegle bans are based upon users’ IP address, a unique number assigned to each device that connects to the internet. So to work around the ban, you should change your IP address.
Below are the three methods that allow you to change your IP address. Just work your way down until you find the one that works for you.
Method 1: Restart your modem/router and your computer
The Omegle ban is based on IP address, so it makes sense that the most straightforward way to regain access to Omegle is to change your IP address. If you’re connected to the Internet through a modem, restarting the modem/router is one possible way to do so.
Here is how to do it:
- Unplug your modem (and your wireless router, if it’s a separate device) from the power socket.
- Wait 60 seconds for your modem (and your wireless router) to cool off.
- Plug the network devices back in again and wait until the indicator lights are back to the normal state.
- Restart your computer.
- Open Omegle to see if you can access it. If yes, then great! If your IP address is static or the method doesn’t apply in your situation somehow, please try Method 2, below to get Omegle unbanned.
Method 2: Connect to a different network
Another way to obtain a different IP address is to use a different network. To do so, simply can take your mobile or computer to a friend’s place, a cafe, a library or anywhere that provides you with Internet access.
Method 3: Use a VPN
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a service that re-routes your Internet data through a dedicated server, hides your real IP address and tricks your ISP and Omegle into thinking that you’re browsing from a different location (hence bypassing the ban).
You can set up a VPN connection manually, but this requires a lot of time, patience and computer skills. So it’s easier to use a VPN service, such as NordVPN.
As a top-notch VPN service, NordVPN is very easy-to-use. It helps you set up a fast, stable and secure VPN connection to anywhere, all within a couple of clicks!
If you’re not sure whether NordVPN is right for you, you can try it out for 30 days free (In fact, Nord insists you do so). During the free trial, you can always choose to opt out or stick to the service.
Here is how to use NordVPN:
- Download and install NordVPN.
- Run NordVPN, then choose a location you want to connect to.
- Once you’ve set up a VPN connection, refresh Omegle to unblock the Omegle site.
Why did I get banned from Omegle?
Omegle regularly use human moderators and automated blocking software to monitor chats. If a user breaks the website’s terms and policies, the user may be banned.
Here are the common reasons why you may get locked out of Omegle.
- You drop conversations too often or you’re disconnected by your chat partners too often
- You’re reported by another user
- You’ve violated Omegle’s terms and conditions (spamming, trolling, using restricted words, transmitting sexual or nude content, violating a copyright, under the 18 age limit or behaving in other ways that are not deemed appropriate by Omegle’s policies)
You can check if you have done any of the above listed behaviors to cause Omegle to shut you out.
If you have done nothing wrong on your part and you still get mysteriously banned, there may be other reasons that are out of your control.
Chances are you may have been in public spaces such as a school, a university or your workplace whose network is restricted. You may also be blocked out because you’re currently based in countries such as China, Turkey, the UAE, Qatar, and Pakistan, who have been known for practicing very strict Internet censorships. Or there may be a hiccup with the IP address, the ‘another’ user may have wrongly reported you, you simply have a flaky internet and so on.
That’s it – reasons why you may get banned from Omegle and methods to help you regain access to Omegle. If you have any ideas, questions or suggestions, please let us know in the comments. Happy chatting!