[SOLVED] How to Fix YouTube TV Buffering Issue
As one of the most popular streaming television service providers, YouTube TV offers live TV, on demand video and cloud-based DVR from more than 85 television networks. However, many users reported that they encountered YouTube TV buffering issues from time to time, which, to some extent, totally ruined their watching experience.
This post is going to free you from the buffering issue and enjoy smooth watching by 6 fixes. You don’t need to try them all; just work down through the list until you find the one that works for you.
Amazon Prime Video Free Trial
Enjoy 30 days to 6 months for FREE
Fixes for YouTube TV Buffering
Fix 1 – Restart your device and app
When something does not work as you expected, always consider restarting your device or applications as your go-to option. Restarting is the easiest way to get your device back on track without the unwanted bandwidth-hogging background programs.
- Restart your device – If you’re using a PC, click the power button and then Restart. If you’re using mobile devices, press the side button to get your device restarted.
- Restart your web browser or app – If you’re using a web browser, try restarting your browser or change a browser, which is proven effective by some users. If you’re using the application, end it in task manager and relaunch it. For mobile device users, just swipe an app off the screen to close the app.
After the rebooting, try to play a few videos on YouTube TV, to see if the buffering matter still appears. If it does, move on to the next fixes.
Fix 2 – Check Internet connection
Slow Internet speed is one of the major reasons for YouTube TV buffering. So it may be a possible solution to check Internet connection and make some changes.
- Restart router – As a networking device, router forwards data packets between computer networks. Therefore, its malfunction may cause slow Internet browsing. Try to unplug your router from the power supply, and then wait for minutes to plug it back in.
- Test Internet speed – The Internet speed test measures the speed of your Internet connection, which includes things like download speed and upload speed. To test your Internet speed, just open chrome and search Internet speed test. Then tap or click Run Speed Test.
- Change a network or disconnect other devices – if your internet speed is too low, you may try to change a network, use wired connection instead of Wi-Fi, or disconnect other devices using the same network. All of these can free up more Internet resources for your streaming service.
If your Internet connection is comparatively fast but buffering problem persists, go ahead to try the next fix.
Fix 3 – Use a VPN
If you have difficulty handling the YouTube TV buffering problems, give VPN (Virtual Private Network) a shot. Why? Here are the reasons:
- Sometimes your ISP (Internet Service Provider) may throttle YouTube TV, leading to speed loss and restrictions. A good VPN can get around this problem and make the streaming service fast and smooth.
- YouTube TV is only available in the US. If you’re traveling outside the country and want to access its streaming services, VPN can help you bypass the location limits.
If you don’t have a VPN yet, we recommend NordVPN rather than a free one. The reason is that if the VPN doesn’t earn money from subscription, they may sell your data for profit, which is annoying and dangerous in this information era.
Besides, NordVPN features threat protection, secure and private connection, fast connection speed, and unlimited bandwidth. By securing up to 6 devices at the same time with one account, it safeguards all your browsing history and online identity.
Here is how to use it:
- Download and install NordVPN.
- Run it and connect to a VPN server in the US.
- Open YouTube TV and log in your account.
Now try to play streaming TV to check for any improvement.
Fix 4 – Change video resolution
If your YouTube TV still keeps buffering, try downgrading the video resolution. Low resolution requires less data transfer to play a video, so it may help ease the video buffering. Therefore, try to reduce the video resolution to 480p or other non-HD quality to see if it works better.
Fix 5 – Repair system files
You may not notice any system files during your daily use of computer, but they actually support the operation of the system and programs. If your system files (e.g. DLL files) are missing, corrupted, or outdated, you might find it hard to maintain the smooth running of computer. In this case, you may want to run a quick and thorough scan on your PC with Restoro.
Restoro is a renowned software that aims to secure and repair any PC to an optimized state. It’s able to remove malware threats, detect dangerous websites, replace damaged Windows files, and free disk space. It specialized in Windows repair, with a full database of certificated replacement files.
Take a quick peek below to see how it works:
- Download and install Restoro.
- Run a free scan to check if there is anything needed to be repaired.
- Check the generated summary after the scan. Click Start Repair to launch the fixing process (and you’ll need to pay for that).
Fix 6 – Check for update
It’s always suggested to keep your system and programs up to date.
On one hand, outdated versions of device systems may fail to support streaming service. On the other hand, the latest version of software tends to fix some existing problems. Both make checking for updates an essential step for tackling the YouTube TV buffering problem.
Hence, go to your app store, system settings or other related programs to check for any updated version of YouTube TV and your device system.
YouTube TV alternatives
Still no luck? If all the above fixes fail to tackle the buffering issue, consider using other stream services.
Amazon Prime Video — Streaming service that competes with the likes of Netflix and Hulu, where you can enjoy popular movies and Amazon Originals free with ads.
Amazon Prime Video Free Trial
For 30 days to 6 months
DirecTV Stream — formerly known as AT&T TV, an American multichannel video programming distributor launched in 1994. Boasting up to 160+ channels and most regional sports networks, it’s your best choice.
DIRECTV STREAM 5-day free trial
Get 3 months of free EPIX, HBO Max, Showtime, STARZ & Cinemax
FuboTV — 100+ live TV channels, popular shows, movies and news. It provides live TV streaming services with top leagues and teams, perfect for sport fans. Besides, it can be actively streamed on 3 devices at the same time.
FuboTV 7-day free trial
Watch live games for the NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, soccer, and more.
Hopefully this post can be helpful in solving YouTube TV buffering issues. If you have any suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment below.