When you copy and send files from your computer to your external WD or External hard drive, if you get The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error, don’t worry. You can fix the error easily with one of the solutions below. There are four solutions for you to fix the error. You don’t have to try them all. Just work your way down the list until you find the one that works for you.
- Check hardware issue
- Run CHKDSK to scan and repair the drive
- Recover the data with data recovery software
- Format the drive
The problem can be caused by a bad cable or a damaged drive. Before you head to further solutions, ensure both of them are working fine.
Firstly, connect the hard drive using another cable which has no problems. Then check to see if the error persists. If the error persist, the problem is not caused by a bad cable. If the error is gone, just replace the bad cable with the good cable.
Secondly, connect another hard drive to the computer. If the error doesn’t occur to another hard drive, it’s probably caused by corrupted data of the drive. In this case, move to Solution 2. The system rarely causes the error. But if another drive has the problem as well, the system is probably the cause. In this case, you can consider resetting the system. If you’re not comfortable resetting the system on your own, contact the support of your PC manufacturer for further assistance, or you can take your computer to the repair shop near you to make a further check.
Corrupted data probably causes The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error. You can run CHKDSK command to repair the corrupted data. CHKDSK is Command Prompt command used to check a specified disk and repair or recover data on the drive if necessary.
To run the command, follow these steps.
1) Type cmd into the search box at the bottom left corner of the desktop.
2) Right-click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
3) Type chkdsk x: /f /r (replace x with the drive letter of your external drive). Then press Enter on your keyboard. After that, Windows will start scanning the drive for the corrupted data and repair them automatically. The process generally takes a few seconds. Please be patient if it takes a little longer.
In my case, the drive is j, so I typed chkdsk j: /f /r (see the screenshot shown below).
4) After the process completes, you’ll see the scanning result in the screen. Then you’ll know if any corrupted data is fixed.
TIP: If Windows provides an option for you to delete the corrupted files, it means the corrupted data is not able to be fixed with the CHKDSK command. If that’s your case, try Solution 3 to recover the data.
After trying Solution 2, if the error persists, you can use Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery to recover the data. Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery is a known data recovery software around the world. With the friendly user interface, you can use it to recover any deleted, lost and corrupted data of your drive with just a few clicks.
1) Download and install Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery.
2) Launch Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery. Then select the type of data that you want to recover and click Next.
3) Select the external hard drive that you want to recover your lost data.
4) Click Turn on Preview to showing files while scanning.
5) Preview all recoverable data after completing scanning process. View & Sort results by File Type, Tree View, and Deleted List.
6) Select desired location and click Start Saving to save the recovered data.
The last solution you can try is format the drive. Note that formatting will remove all data in the drive. Before you get started, back up the data first. You may only be able to back up some of the files due to the error.
Follow steps below to format the drive.
1) Open File Explore.
2) Right-click the drive and select Format.
3) Uncheck Quick Format then click Start.
4) Click OK when the WARNING dialog box pop up.
The process might take some time depending on the size of the drive. After formatting, check to see if you can copy and send the files to the drive.
Hopefully the methods above help you resolve The request failed due to a fatal device hardware error. If you have any questions, please feel free to leave your comments. I’d love to hear of any ideas or suggestions.