There are cases in which some people did an internet transaction online but ended up not receiving what they paid for, making them desperate to find the name from a phone number.1
In another common case, some have been getting disturbing texts from an unrecognized number, and after looking the number up, it appears to be an old number, making them wonder if the number has been recently reappropriated and how they can find the current owner.2
If you happen to be one of them, you’re in the right place. In this guide, we will take you through three effective methods to discover the identity of the phone number’s owner. Whether you prefer free options or are open to investing in a paid service, we’ve got you covered.
How to find out who owns a number
Method 1: Free Google Search
To kick off your investigation without breaking the bank, start with a Google search. Here’s a step-by-step approach:
1) Enter the phone number in the Google search field.
To narrow down the search, put quotation marks “” around your search query.
2) Hit Enter and wait for the results.
If the initial results are elusive, fear not! Below are the alternative methods that await exploration.
Method 2: Social Media Sleuthing
Given the prevalence of social media use, it’s highly likely that the number’s owner is active on platforms like Facebook. Here’s how you can approach this:
1) Input the phone number into the social media search field.
2) Explore the profile page for potential information unless privacy settings hinder your search.
If you hit a roadblock, it’s time to move on to the third method – using a reliable reverse phone lookup service.
Method 3: Reverse Phone Number Lookup Services
Reverse Phone Lookup
Search for Owner’s Name, Address & More!
While a manual search won’t cost you a dime, its limitations make it not a great pick. In this case, a phone number lookup service comes in handy. Here’s how they can help:
- Simply input the phone number into a reputable reverse phone number lookup tool.
- The service will scan its vast data sources and compile all available information about the phone number’s owner into a user-friendly report.
The information may include, when available:
Are there any free cell phone number lookup services?
We all love freebies. So are there any services that won’t cost you a dime? The answer is YES!
When you search on Google by entering the search query phone number lookup free, you’ll find that there are several sites that claim to allow you to do a reverse phone number lookup at no charge.
In our trial of NumLookup.com for a phone number lookup, we managed to find the owner’s full name, address, and social media profiles. This can be handy if that’s all you’re after.
Yet, if you’re looking to dig deeper into the person’s background, including their education, work history, criminal & traffic records, and more, a paid service might be the way to go.
Is a paid phone number lookup service worth it?
Reverse Phone Number Lookup
Search for Owner’s Name, Address & More!
The decision to use a paid phone number lookup service boils down to various factors. Let’s objectively explore situations where it might be worth the investment and when it might not be the most prudent choice.
When it might not be worth it:
1. Limited information needs
If your objective is solely to identify the caller without delving into extensive details, a paid service might be overkill. For basic information, sticking to free options could be more economical and sufficient for your needs.
When it might be worth it:
1. Ad-Free experience
One of the perks that come with many paid phone number lookup services is the absence of intrusive advertisements. If you find pop-ups and banners disruptive during your search, investing in a paid service ensures a seamless and distraction-free experience.
2. Access to comprehensive information
Paid services frequently tap into extensive data sources, which can provide a more detailed profile of the phone number’s owner. They get the data from various public record sources, including federal, state, and county offices.
3. Enhanced reliability
While free methods may offer basic information, the reliability of the data can vary. Paid services often cross-reference information from various sources, increasing the likelihood of obtaining the most up-to-date and reliable details.
Therefore, the worth of a paid phone number lookup service depends on your specific needs. For occasional use or basic information, free methods may suffice. However, if you prioritize an ad-free experience, access to extensive information, and value-added features, a paid service could be a worthwhile investment.
Below, we’ve listed three top-notch reverse phone lookup services. To unlock the full report, you’ll need to purchase a membership plan.
BeenVerified Reverse Phone Number Lookup
With 10+ years of experience in providing users access to billions of records from leading sources, BeenVerified can be your go-to choice for everyday information.
To learn about the owner’s details about the unknown phone number, you can do a reverse phone number lookup on BeenVerified. With its easy-to-navigate website and the app version available on the App Store and Google Play, you should find it easy to unlock a report that may contain the real name of the number owner, email address, and much more!
To find out who owns this phone number on BeenVerified, you can take these steps:
1) Visit BeenVerified’s search page.
2) Select Phone Lookup. Then feed in the phone number and click SEARCH.
3) Now wait for BeenVerified to search its databases and find your match. During this process, you might need to answer some questions to help generate a report on the number owner you’re searching for.
Once the report is ready, open it and you should see the section Potential Owners. Below is the sample report. As you can see, when we searched for a specific phone number, there were red flags in the report, alerting us that the phone number might come from a SPAM/scam caller. Therefore, it’s fair to say that BeenVerified is great for you to identify the unknown caller.
If you’re encountering any issues while using BeenVerified, do not hesitate to reach out to the support team:
- Tel: 1-866-855-6480
- Email: email@example.com
Perks! BeenVerified memberships come with exclusive perks, including:
- Dark Web Scan: Check if your email was potentially leaked;
- Member Perks: Get free gift cards, cash-back offers, or discounts.
Please note that these perks are subject to change and may have limited availability.
(Kind Reminder: Verify the most up-to-date information regarding Member Perks on the official BeenVerified website. )
Spokeo Reverse Phone Number Lookup
[Spoiler alert: MTV’s “Catfish” uses Spokeo to research.]
If you’ve ever watched MTV’s Catfish: The TV Show, you probably come across a scene where the hosts used Spokeo to uncover surprising online frauds. So it’s fair to say that Spokeo is a trustworthy tool to conduct a reverse phone lookup to uncover who’s behind.
What sets Spokeo apart from other reverse phone number lookup services is that it digs deep into an individual’s social media accounts.
Below is a simple three-step guide to perform lookups on Spokeo:
1) Navigate to Spokeo’s Reverse Phone Lookup page.
2) Enter the 10-digit phone number into the search field and click SEARCH NOW.
3) Wait for Spokeo to search its databases. When it finds your match and compiles a report for you, simply open it and look for useful information that helps you locate the phone number owner.
If you’re hitting a dead end, try to contact the support team:
- Tel: 1-888-271-9562
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Intelius Reverse Phone Number Lookup
When it comes to identifying the possible owner of a phone number, Intelius stands as a reliable and comprehensive tool in your investigative arsenal. Intelius strives to deliver both comprehensive details and efficiency.
To find out who a phone number belongs to, follow this simple step-by-step guide.
1) Navigate to Intelius Reverse Phone Lookup page.
2) Enter the phone number into the search box and click SEARCH.
3) Wait for the search results to populate. The service will scour its multiple public data and other online sources to retrieve available information associated with the provided phone number.
4) Review the search results. Once the results are available, go through them to locate your subject. Click on the report and purchase a membership plan. Once you have the report opened, scroll down to their information to see if you can find the information that’s useful for you.
Below is a sample report. When we performed searches, we received the report, which showed many details on the phone number.
The background report on the number owner we searched for was quite informative. There was a section that showed the individual’s voter registration history. Intelius can provide users with a wealth of public record information on an individual.
If you need any assistance, feel free to contact their support team:
- Tel: (877) 564-3253
- Message: https://www.intelius.com/contact/
At times, the sender of a text message from a number that you don’t even recognize may surprise you by addressing you by your first name.3 To confirm they are who they claim to be, you can try performing searches with the services mentioned above.
In conclusion, identifying the owner of a phone number is achievable with the right methods and tools. Whether you opt for free options or invest in a paid service, these techniques should help you unveil the mystery of unknown calls. Share your success stories or additional methods in the comments below, and let us know which approach worked best for you!
All product names, logos, brands, trademarks and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.
- r/RBI [cybermill66]. (2018, March 20). How to trace a name from someone’s phone number? [Online forum post]. Reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/RBI/comments/85t93u/how_to_trace_a_name_from_someones_phone_number/ ↩︎
- [users/5fca61b78acbf10bdd881a1b]. (2020, December 5). how to find the current owner of a number. [Online forum post]. AT&T Community Forums. https://forums.att.com/conversations/wireless-account/how-to-find-the-current-owner-of-a-number/5fca61b88acbf10bdd881a1e ↩︎
- [user-id/179694]. (2010, February 06). Texts from unknown sender, yet they know my name. [Online forum post]. Verizon Community. https://community.verizon.com/t5/Verizon-Messages/Texts-from-unknown-sender-yet-they-know-my-name/td-p/16047 ↩︎