Find out anyone’s real identity with an image.
These days, as more and more people are looking to find their significant other online, dating site scams have been reported on the rise. These scams can cost unsuspecting victims millions of dollars each year.
If you’ve noticed some warning signs and that you are unable to verify the identity of your date, you are in the right place. There’re actually a number of useful tools that can help you figure out someone’s real identity in seconds, using just a username, picture, phone number, name or email address.
Warning Signs of Dating Site Scams
Typically, a dating scammer creates fake profiles using stolen photos and information to lure victims into relationships. When the scammer gains the confidence and trust of the victims, they begin to make up stories to ask them for money constantly. Here are a few signs that may indicate that you are talking to a dating scammer:
- They have a vague or incomplete profile, or they’re unwilling to share personal information.
- They live far away, often in another country.
- They move the relationship very quickly
- They move the conversation off the dating site quickly.
- They ask for money because they need help with travel expenses, medical bills, or other emergencies.
How to Verify Someone’s Identity and Avoid Dating Scammers
If you suspect that you’ve encountered an online dating scammer and that you are unable to verify the person’s identity, you can take advantage of professional people search engines tounmask the real identity of the person and avoid further financial loss.
Option 1. Search Background Info by Username
If what you know about the person is limited, you can search for detailed background information using just a username.
A reverse username search can help you find out the person behind the username. The information you can get may include:
- Personal details like name, age, marital status, education, work history, criminal records and more
- Contact info including phone number, email address and family members
- Location info like current address, location history and property ownership
- More online profiles on social media, dating sites and relevant photos
To perform a background check on the suspicious person:
- Go to BeenVerified reverse username search page.
- Type the username into the search bar and click SEARCH.
- Wait a few minutes as the site scours its database. Once it finds a matching record, it will compile it into a detailed report.
Option 2. Verify Someone’s Identity by Pictures
As mentioned above, scammers will often use photos and information that they’ve stolen from other people. If you suspect that the person you’re talking to is not who they say they are, you can run a reverse image search to see if the photos they’re using have been used elsewhere.
Social Catfish is an online investigation service that has the most comprehensive collections of dating sites or social media profiles and background information. A reverse image search with Social Catfish can give you detailed background information about the person (name, age, phone number, family, previous and current address, email address, etc.).
- Go to Social Catfish reverse image search page.
- Browse and upload an image from your device then click Search.
- Wait a second you’ll get a search result. Click View Report to see if you’re chatting with a dating scammer.
Option 3. Look up Background Details with Phone Number
If the person called you before, then verify his or her real identity with the phone number will be the best choice.
PeopleLooker is a well-known phone lookup platform that you can try in this case. It searches for phone number records information for millions of people across the United States. The report you get after running a search may include the real name, address, social media profiles and public records of the owner. You can run a reverse phone lookup with PeopleLooker and see if the personal info associated with the number matches what the person told you previously.
1. Visit PeopleLooker phone lookup page. Type the phone number in the search box and then click Search Now.
2. Your report will be available within seconds and may include details such as the phone owner’s name, address history, age, potential relatives, and more. If any of this information contradicts what the person has told you, it is advisable to stop further contact.
What to Do If You’ve Been Scammed
If you suspect that you are talking to a dating scammer, it’s important to take action to protect yourself. Here are a few steps you can take:
- Report the scammer to the dating site: Most dating sites have a reporting feature that allows you to report suspicious behavior. This will help the site to investigate and take action against the scammer.
- Block the scammer: If you suspect that you are talking to a scammer, it’s important to block them right away to prevent them from contacting you again.
- Save any evidence: If a scammer has asked you for money or personal information, it’s important to save any evidence of this, including emails, texts, and screenshots. This can be helpful if you decide to report the scammer to the authorities.
- Notify the authorities: If you’ve been scammed, it’s important to report it to the authorities. You can contact the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center or the Federal Trade Commission to report the scam.
It’s important to remember that scammers are skilled at creating fake profiles and convincing people to send them money or personal information. However, by being aware of the signs of a dating scammer and taking steps to protect yourself, you can help to avoid falling victim to a scam. For example, you can take advantage of a dedicated people search tool to verify their real identity. If you have been scammed and suffered financial loss, you can also run a people search to trace the scammer, but the top priority would be to report it to the police and your bank.
Hopefully this post helped you. If you have any questions or suggestions, please feel free to leave a comment below.